Sunday, October 4, 2009

Cochlear Implant

I am excited that Kiliana will be getting her cochlear implant in a month or two. But very nervous as well.

I listened to some sound clips on the web of what a CI sounds like to the person wearing it. It was very strange to me, though I know that it will me "normal" to my daughter since that would be all that she knows to be sound.

But what really bothers me is the music aspect of it. I love music. It's a huge part of my life. And it bothers me that Kili will probably not get the same appriciation from it as I do, since music heard from a CI doesn't sound very pleasant. But then again, that's all she will know, so hopefully it will be ok.

I just wish there was gene therapy or something to fix it. But the CI is a blessing. I can't really complain. It will give her all she needs to learn and thrive in life. I just want to give her all that I can in life, to have the same chance as all other kids do.

3 comments:

  1. I just saw your blog from a news feed I get on CIs. First, let me say welcome to the CI community. There are so many people out here who have been there, done that and will be so supportive in your journey with your sweet baby girl. It is VERY scary, but it gets better and is all well worth it. My baby boy was born with profound hearing loss, and now at 18 mths, is bilaterally implanted, and saying words I never thought I'd hear him say. You'll also find that music appreciation by CI users is amazing ... especially with the Conexin 26 kiddos! On my blog you'll see a lot of links on the sidebar. I'd say all these parents have written many posts about music appreciation or posted videos of their little ones enjoying music with a CI. Hope you can check them out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I am a teacher of the deaf, working mostly with preschool-aged children with cochlear implants. I just read your worries about your daughter's relationship to music with a CI, and wanted to share with you the experiences I have had with my 70+ hearing impaired students and music over the years...THEY LOVE IT! Music truly transends all. In fact, I have found that (as with typically hearing children), music is the best, must entertaining way to teach language to a child with a cochlear implant. It's true, music does not sound the same to them as it does to you or I, but there is no denying their utter enjoyment of the musical experience when you watch them move to their favorite beat or proudly sing their favorite songs. I wish you and Kiliana the best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog! I hope you'll consider adding it to the aggregator at Deaf Village (www.deafvillage.com) -- we'd love to have you as part of our community!

    ReplyDelete